Monday, March 10, 2008

Running

So I decided not to talk too much about running in this, as athleticore has everything that one needs to see, but my life has quickly deteriorated (or maybe evolved?) into the life of a professional runner. I've gotten up every morning for the past week and gone for some sort of run, thought about running all day and prepared for the next mornings runs. At the moment I'm refiguring some shit so that I can run in the evenings as well. When I'm not running, I've read 'Once a Runner', am halfway through 'No Bugles, No Drums', with 'John Walker, Champion' in the queue. In between all the thoughts on running, I have been going to class and studying, but at this point there isn't much to do and I only have 8 hours of lecture a week (including wednesedays and fridays completely off). I found a series of races in Auckland - 4 actually - that are all 5k or 10k. The first is on Sunday in 3 weeks, I'm gonna try and make it to most of them, but the weekends are good for tramping and fishing. so we'll see which wins out. I did find a track, it's just a chalk line on the pitch in the domain, but I'm pretty sure that it is close to accurate (why wouldn't it be?), I'm also pretty sure that when Snell talks about doing his running in the domain, that is where it is, as none of the other domains have anything close. It is quite an experience to read about the runs he did and then go and run there myself. Although the cars will not stop for you, it is crazy to run somewhere that you don't have the right of way, I'm pretty sure that I'll get hit sometime; I almost did this morning - hope it's not bad when it happens.

Also been climbing almost every day, if only for a few hours, I'm gonna start putting that up ion athleticore as well. Sent some good routes, but nothing major yet.

2 comments:

Tyle Stelzig said...

Tom!!

So I set up a blog because otherwise it wouldn't let me post comments. Luckily I'm on spring break now and don't have anything better to do anyway (besides running of course). I looked at the picures of the hiking trip, which were very cool. I especially enjoyed the account of your newfound insights into the tramping habits of females.

That's awesome that you're running, and found a copy of NBND. You should make it goal to find/run/conquer the infamous Waiatarua sometime this semester. (A daunting proposition, much more easily made with the reassuring protective separation of an ocean or two.)

Tyle Stelzig said...

And that's sweet that the climbing wall's open. I picture you walking around with a chalk bag at your hip and climbing shoes in a track bag at all times.

I was very excited this morning to discover your return to Athleticore. Am I right to conclude that the races in Auckland are XC, or am I being too optimistic about these Kiwis?