Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Flight of the Kiwis

The other day some (female) architecture students asked to borrow my climbing rope for a movie they were making. They allowed me to take part as well. Their assignment was to make a video commentary on teaching and community or some such nonsense, and they decided to do some sort of symbloic maori weaving. Myself and three others were used to hold the rope that they wove around us, so we sat for a good 45 minutes holding this rope out at shoulder height as they tried to figure out how they were gonna do their weaving. The girls were really cool, I actually like them alot, but it was hilarious to watch them debating back and forth about whether to weave the black up and twist it with the white or bring the blue in and use that to twist it all together. I kept breaking out in laughter when I recognised how perfect Flight of the Chonchords does representing the kiwis. I still can't get over how perfect that film is. If anyone wants to experience New Zealand culture - that is the movie to watch. The girls actually ended up buying us beer afterwards and one of them even drove us down to Taupo the next day.

No comments: